Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stitchy Goodness: Belt Pouch

I finallly finished off this linen belt pouch that I've been working on... I plan to give it away as a gift.

Never underestimate the value of having some "hand-work" to take with your for holiday family gatherings!
The knotwork is sewn with a simple chain-stitch. The edge of the opening flap is done with a blanket stitch. I even used linen thread for the embroidery. It was kind of nice, but I'll have to see how it like it when I'm doing a more extensive piece.

I'll tell you this though -- marking a design on black fabric? Not so fun. I used white coloured pencil, but some of the design rubbed off halfway through the project, so the end result is not quite as "perfect" as I'd like it to be. I suppose that will just reinforce the handmade look of the piece.

I liked how "cool and refreshing" the linen fabric felt as I was working with it. I'm intending to make up some medieval garb for the summer with some linen that I've been collecting. I know I've got some navy blue and some red somewhere in my fabric stash... the real trick will be having the discipline to pre-wash/shrink the fabric. I'm usually a bit lazy about that part (I dread all the frayed edges) but it will be worth it for peace of mind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are concerned with the fraying, and you have a sewing machine, I find a very loose zig zag stitch on the ends helps a lot. If you have the time and no sewing machine a whip stitch at the ends could be effective. I have seen people put the two cut ends together and zig zag over both of them at the same time, which does save time and thread. Enjoyed viewing your blog and your felted balls. Mary

MizMerryMac said...

Thanks for the tip!