Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hot Glass: 3rd Session

I got back to flameworking glass again yesterday.

After reading a thread in the LampworkEtc. Forum about using regular propane for a HotHead torch, I decided to give it a try since I'm still developing my skills and it's less than half the cost of buying Mapp gas in bulk. I found that they were right about the glass not getting mucked up as long as you don't work too low in the flame. I think I did okay with the exception of the first couple of beads.

I wanted to get back to work exploring the glass and how it responds to the flame. I played around with some of the frits that I have and a few samples that I just bought.

I love the iris orange/raku reduction frit, but the iris green-amber reduction frit is divine! Particularly on ivory glass which is fast becoming one of my favourites to work with. I really like how you get these unpredictable reactions with other colours that contain copper etc. in them.

I haven't gotten any silver wire yet that's pure enough to work properly on a bead. I'm looking forward to playing with that.

I love how the two long beads (11) turned out with the bright candy colours. I used some twisties and stringers to make the swirls and dots. The blue aventurine frit over sky blue (6) came out pretty nice. I was playing with layers using the frit and transparent clear glass. As a result of these experiments, I plan to buy some fine aventurine frits in several colours. I can't resist the sparkle! The striking cherry red (12) was unexpected. It was part of the "gambler's pack" that AiG is all sold out of. I was so disappointed when I found out, and wished I had bought TWO lbs. instead of just the one. Oh well.

Once I get enough beads accumulated, I'll send them off to be batch annealed.

3 comments:

DebiDeaux Designs said...

Hello Mary, just wanted to let you know that I think your beads are wonderful. Much nicer than my own "3rd session". Keep up the great work. But do be careful as flameworking and glass are highly addictive.

DebiDeaux Designs said...

Hello Mary, just wanted to let you know that I think your beads are wonderful. Much nicer than my own "3rd session". Keep up the great work. But do be careful as flameworking and glass are highly addictive.

MizMerryMac said...

Addictive indeed! I agree with you there, Debi...
Thanks for the support!